Summer Camps Register NOW
High Adventure Camp
Rock Climbing, High Ropes Course & Kayaking
Experience the fun and excitement of the great outdoors! The department is thrilled to bring three wonderful outdoor opportunities together! The participants will learn basic skills and techniques of each sport, rock climbing and kayaking and utilize those necessary skills to participate safely. The rock climbing practice sessions will be held at the RockSport (518-793-4626) indoor climbing facility, located at 54 Carey Road, Queensbury.
Robert Livingston, Manager and Chief Guide, is a NYS Licensed Certified Mountain Guide and has national certification and licensure through the American Mountain Guide Association (A.M.G.A.). Robert and his trained RockSport staff will organize and supervise the outdoor climbing component of the program on Friday of the camp.
- The high ropes/challenge course module of the program will take place on the SUNY Adirondack campus with such elements as the “Flying Squirrel”, “Vertical Playpen”, “The Giant Centipede”, “Pamper Pole”, and more.
- Personal and team building challenges abound here!
- The kayaking component of the camp will take place on either the Sacandaga River or Saratoga Lake.
- Children under 12 years of age must take a raft, instead of a kayak, for the water trips.
- No experience necessary.
- There will be certified kayaking guides accompanying the trip and they are certified as: NYS Licensed Water Guide, First Aid and CPR, ACA Water Kayaking Guide, and Swift Water Rescue.
- Experience the thrill and excitement of whitewater rapids in a controlled environment!
- Upon completion of the skills and safety training, participants will be able to use those skills and techniques with a real adventure in rock climbing on one of the breathtaking Adirondack Peaks and enjoy the region’s sparkling waters.
- The High Ropes Course provides a thrilling challenge for the kids ... they love this combo camp!
- There will be two days of climbing at the new, state-of-the-art RockSport facility learning the basics (Mondays and Wednesdays), with two days at the SUNY Adirondack Challenge Course (Tuesdays and Thursdays).
- On Fridays, we will spend the mornings climbing on one of the crags that surrounds the Lake George basin, followed by a picnic lunch, and some swimming.
- Day 1 & 3 RockSport Facility
- Day 2 & 4 SUNY Adirondack
- Day 5 Lake George (location TBA)
- It will be a most memorable day!
Additional Information for Pebblecrushers!
- PLEASE NOTE: the completion of a RockSport waiver is required. Please visit the RockSport website (see link) to complete an online waiver @: http://rocksportny.com/
- Please send your child with a water bottle/drinks and snacks; and pack a lunch for the picnic lunch on Fridays .
- Please pack appropriate supplies for the outdoor trips/activities.
- No transportation provided.
- Parents are responsible for providing transportation to and from locations.
- Note to parents: For your child’s safety, please inform the Department Staff, at the time of registration, and the instructor of any known allergies that exist for your child!